Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday’s Serving – Clan Beginnings: Clan, Honor, and Empire (WIP)



            The councilman remained friendly looking but gave Rajhir a frank, appraising stare.  “You’re young, but not so young you’d be completely irresponsible.  I take it you’ve just completed your final schooling?”
            Rajhir pulled his handheld out of its pouch on his belt.  He switched it on to display his credentials, enlarging the vid transmission so that his would-be employer could easily read it.
            He said, “I studied advanced political sciences, economy, and law and received high marks for all subjects.”
            The councilman nodded, giving the readout a cursory glance.  “Impressive, Dramok – Rajhir, I believe?  The only child of Clan Gegra?  As in Councilman Gegra?”
            Rajhir blinked in surprise.  “My father was a former councilman, sir.  He lost the last election.”
            A scowl marred the man’s merry face for an instant.  “Yes, I know.  It was a clear case of the voters selecting style over substance, flash over dignified service.  Your father was robbed, in my opinion.”
            Rajhir let suspicion overtake his shock.  “How did you know my name?”
            The councilman grinned, the expression more devious than before.  “I make it a point to know as much as possible about the people who make the Empire move, Dramok Rajhir.  Your father Gegra is such a man, and his absence from the council will be temporary.  There’s something about Dramok Ledsin that doesn’t sit right with me, and soon we will all know what that something is.” 
            He pursed his lips before continuing on.  “Not only are you the son of Dramok Gegra, but you are a distant cousin to the Imperial Clan, are you not?”
            “I am,” Rajhir admitted after only a moment’s pause.  This man really did do his research. 
            The bloodline connection to the Imperial Clan had kept Rajhir in check for much of his life.  It was the reason Gegra’s neverending mantra of ‘honor and Empire’ had been drilled into his head.  It certainly opened doors, but it had also kept him under tight rein.
            Maybe his prospective employer sensed that, because he asked, “You seem to have mixed feelings about that, Rajhir.”
            “It’s got its good and bad points, Councilman – uh–”
            The man chuckled.  “Oh, of course.  I never introduced myself, did I?  I am Dramok Ospar.”  He jerked his head to indicate the man standing behind him.  “And this terrible creature lurking over my shoulder is my Nobek, Jol.”
            Rajhir stood to bow respectfully.  As he settled back in his chair, he suddenly remembered where he had seen the pair before.  They had figured prominently in the news feeds some months back.
            His eyes widening with real respect and not the expected courtesy of a show, Rajhir said, “Dramok Ospar.  Your parent clan operates all those mines.  There was some altercation several months back with a rival, wasn’t there?”
            Ospar sighed and gave him a look of disappointment worthy of Gegra.  “We need to work on your background checking skills, Rajhir.  My uncle owns the mining interests, of which I am the sole heir.  That ‘altercation’ you mentioned happened a few years ago and damned near killed my Imdiko.  You should definitely know any situation you’re walking into, no matter how inconsequential you believe it to be.  You never should have walked into my office without knowing what you might be getting yourself into.”
            Jol added, “With Ospar, that would be getting in over your head.”
            Ospar’s tone was dry.  “And yet you clanned with me, so that shows your good sense.”
            Jol only rolled his eyes.  His brutal mien had eased a touch as the two men sparred.

No release date set.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this one! It's a two-fer! We get the clan beginnings of one clan, but quite a bit of insight into another as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love two-fers Tamara. I'm looking forward to this one also. I have to say that the 'Clan beginnings' books are my favorite of the Kalquor books. In fact, I wish we could clone Tracy so we would get the books twice as fast. lol

      Delete