Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Clan, Honor, and Empire Sneak Peek and News for Nook Users





Available at Amazon, Amazon UK, and Smashwords.  Also available in print.

Before we get to today's excerpt, here's the latest regarding the current issues getting the book onto Nook.  Their support crew has finally issued this statement for all Nook Press users:

"Please be advised that NOOK Press is currently experiencing sporadic issues when uploading non-ePub files. If you encounter any issues when uploading a non-ePub manuscript file, please try again later.

We are working on this issue and will post an update when it has been fixed. We thank you for your patience and apologize for this inconvenience."

So until B&N fixes their 'issues', it looks like Nook users will not be able to get this book or Unholy Union for a little while yet.  Smashwords, which does submit to Nook using the ePub file system, will load the books to B&N at some point if I don't.  I have no idea how long that will take.  I don't know how to use the ePub system, so I am checking into it.  However, this is something else that will take time.  If you absolutely must have this book in the meantime, you can get a Nook compatible version at Smashwords.  I apologize for this snafu, but as you can see, the issue is out of my hands.

And now, on to today's excerpt from Clan, Honor, and Empire:
                The Imdiko swallowed and looked at the two techs working at the other end of the room.  They were engrossed in running patient sample results, which was all that occupied the lab’s night shift.  They would most likely not notice him sitting down at the main computer.  They were too far away and the angle would be wrong for them to see what he might bring up on the vid.
                Rajhir had told him to wait.  Yet Flencik thought there might not be a more perfect opportunity to regain access to Dr. Wyb’s communications with Dr. Esu.  He might never get such a chance again.
                Flencik cleaned up his area and put his research project samples away.  When he’d finished, the two techs were still wrapped up in their work.  They didn’t seem to notice his presence at all.
                Damn it, he didn’t want to do this.  Just considering it made his hands shake.  He really should wait for Rajhir’s approval.  That would be the smart thing to do.
                Flencik approached the main computer anyway.  His tread sounded heavier and louder than he’d ever noticed it before.  Damn if his steps didn’t actually echo in the vast space of the research lab.  He waited for the other two men to look up and notice him, ready to veer off and walk out the door.  Neither tech did.
                Flencik reached the computer, his breath rasping as if he’d run a marathon.  A tap on the its interface brought it to life, showing him the main screen of the lab’s system.  With another nervous look around the room, the Imdiko dipped into his pocket and fished out the pass card Jol had made.  His hand shook so badly that Flencik stabbed it at the slot three times before he finally got it in.
                The vid flashed small letters on the screen:  Security Code Approved, , Doctor Wyb, Unlimited Access.  Wincing as if he’d already committed a crime ... and perhaps he had ... Flencik quickly typed in a query for the files he wanted.  It only took a second for them to come up, but it felt like an eternity. 
                Too nervous to search through the entries, Flencik highlighted them all to be copied.  He figured that once he got home, he could delete the ones that were proprietary research and private patient records.  Now that he was in Erow’s computer records, he wanted to get out fast.
                Flencik once more checked on the two lab techs as he pulled out the file drive Jol had given him.  He might as well have been on another planet for all the attention they paid to him.  His breathing still sounded loud in his ears, and his heart raced as he plugged in the drive and inputted the command to copy.
                The ten seconds it took for the files to load onto the drive spun out for another eternity.  Flencik chewed viciously on his lower lip, urging the computer to hurry, hurry, damn it hurry.  He even chanted it under his breath.  Tension stretched his nerves taut until the Imdiko thought his sanity would snap in two.
                Copying completed.
                Flencik sagged in relief.  It was done.  He could take the file and get the hell out of the lab. 
                He spied a movement at the corner of his eye and jerked.  Flencik’s heart threatened to stop as he saw a member of Erow’s security, a brute of a Nobek, only feet away and heading straight for him.
                The doctor knew he’d been caught.  It didn’t matter that the security guard Nobek Humri was looking all around the room rather than at Flencik.  The man was a retired Royal Guard, too sharp to miss anything.  Royal Guards were the best when it came to security.  Everyone knew that.



Available at Amazon, Amazon UK, and Smashwords.  Also available in print.

6 comments:

  1. Within 5 minutes of seeing this book was released yesterday, I had it in hand. As much as I want to devour this book, I am savoring it. I've waited a long time to read the back story of my favorite Kalquorian, Breft. I loved him in Alien Embrace and have been obsessed about him since. I've read all the other books in the series and went for the rewrites of Embrace and Conquest. There have been other books that I have reread, but it had always been years before I did so. Ever since I discovered Kalquor, I read the books over and over again -- because every time I reread them, characters and information from one book gives me insight on something from another. I'm always pulling out little details with each read. Shalia's Diary is constantly feeding me tidbits and making me go back to another book to check out a little more. It is a circle that I am sooooo enjoying. Thank you so much for this series. It will keep me delighted probably for years. I began the series with Imdikos as my favorite breed, but am most drawn to the Nobek. It is funny because for most of the series (first read!), I had a really hard time identifying with the Nobeks. Well, they are rather scary until you learn to look benieth the exterior hardness. This is the first series that I've become so fascinated and emotionally attached to the characters that I find myself thinking of this as the real universe. I talk to others about events of the series (who aren't even remotely interested in romance and erotica) and most of these people don't realize that the universe I'm talking about is created by an author. Absolutely delightful world you have created. I thank you for all of this pleasure you depart. Shalia is like cherry on top of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I've given you something you enjoy so much. I'm rather partial to the Nobeks myself...finding the sweetness beneath those primitive exteriors is a challenge but always worth it. Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. I so agree with you Jalanne, Breft is also my favorite Nobeck, and like you I also re-read the books and buy them as soon as they come except this time because I have a nook I’m still waiting but I keep checking the web site and the book will be mine as soon as it gets fixed.
    Tracy, as I have mentioned before, thank you for making my imagination soar and for creating a universe that contains such drool worthy specimens of Kalquorian flesh. Please don’t stop writing their stories, they keep me going even when my own piece of the universe is acting against me and mine (and on a side note, I have learned a couple of things about bondage that I have put to use. This is better and less embarrassing than trying to find somebody to help me), now you can put ‘Teacher’ in your resume besides ‘Writer’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I'm sorry you're waiting on Nook. They continue to have problems that prevent me from getting the book to your platform. All I can do is keep trying and hoping.

      And thank you for the wonderful words. I'm always thrilled to provide some escape from reality. And if I'm helping with bring delights to real life, so much the better!

      Professor St. John...it does have a certain ring to it. ;) Make sure you do plenty of homework.

      Delete
  3. As soon as I got it I had read it, they have always been my favourite clan I loved the book and am going to read it again soon a little slower this time lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I hope it's as good the second time around. Thanks!

      Delete