Thursday, November 15, 2018

TBT: Alien Refuge


Ospar returned her smile with a quizzical one of his own.  “We have just met, haven’t we?  I keep reminding myself of that.  It’s funny, but I feel like a part of me has known you all along.  What is that called, Rivek?”

“Spirit recognition.”  The Imdiko told Iris, “It’s an idea some theologians have discussed through the centuries.  It refers to the belief that the essence of who we are has already met before we join to a physical form.”  He cocked his head and studied her face.  “You seem very familiar to me too.  The first time you and Thomas came to the temple, I thought, ‘Well, here they are finally.’  As if something in me had been expecting you to come along.”

“You even asked Thomas if he already knew you.”  Iris blinked at him.  “This spirit recognition sounds similar to the Earther idea of soul mates.  But that goes beyond simple recognition.  It’s the idea that two people are meant for each other.”  Her face heated.

Jol watched her carefully.  “There are more than two people here.  I feel that even Thomas belongs with us.”

“He does.”  Ospar looked at the sleeping boy, and his expression softened in a look of affection.

Iris basked in their acceptance of her son.  “I wished I believed in such things.”

Rivek asked, “Why shouldn’t you?  It certainly feels right to me.”

It felt right to her too, Iris thought.  It had from the moment she saw Jol holding Thomas after snatching him out of Blaine Middleton’s reckless path.  The first instant she’d seen Rivek and again when Ospar came to her home.  

The idea should have frightened her.  Such things simply didn’t happen, especially not on Haven where most Earthers held the Kalquorians at arms’ length.  And yet the familiarity persisted, embracing her in comfort.

She swallowed.  “This – this can’t be happening.  We just met.”

Ospar chuckled.  “As far as you can remember.  However, I think my spirit recognizes yours, lovely Iris.  I think we want to be re-acquainted.”  

Available from Amazon, Amazon UK, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords.  

International Version

No comments:

Post a Comment