Monday, August 27, 2018

Monday Motivation






You never know how much you can handle until you dive in. Think back and remember all those times you surprised yourself. Maybe you don't have to think back far.

I homeschool my son. That's half my day, and heaven knows, I already have more than enough on my plate without playing schoolhouse marm. But that's what it takes for my special needs kid to have the one-on-one instruction time that keeps him from falling behind his peers. When I began that journey with him in his fifth grade year, he was at 3rd grade level in reading and first grade in writing. Now he's at grade level in reading and zoomed up two grade levels in writing last year. It hasn't been easy on any of us, but I did whatever it took.

I once signed a book contract that meant I had to complete six books in a year to keep my career and finances afloat. That's a book every two months. My usual pace to write a book, start to finish, is six months. So vacations, weekends, every day, had a specific word count I had to complete. I won't pretend is was fun--it wasn't. I even got to a point for a little while during which I hated writing. But I'm in a better position than where I was before in my career, the reason I plunged into such madness. I did whatever it took.

We make sacrifices to achieve our goals. And we wonder if they were worth it. Maybe it turns out those goals were off the mark, and we were spinning our wheels. But I'd rather have gone for something and realized it wasn't what I should have been going for, than to end up asking myself, why didn't I try? Why didn't I do everything within my power to make that happen?

No regrets. If you think something is worth pursuing, then do whatever it takes to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment