Wednesday, September 20, 2017

WIP Wednesday - Clan Beginnings: Clan and Conscience



              “Do you believe politics will be more interesting?” Rivek asked.
              Ospar’s face lit with the excitement of a young boy receiving gifts. “I’ve always been fascinated with affairs of state. I watch the vids of the Royal Council arguing and wrangling like others watch sports. I want to be in the middle of all that, in the center of making law and having an impact.”
              Rivek pursed his lips. “There’s that ‘I want’ again. What about what everyone else wants?”
              “I’m not sure I follow.”
              “What about the people of Kalquor, the people who would elect you? Have you factored them into the equation?”
              Rivek’s question brought a resounding silence from Ospar. The Dramok’s brow furrowed in concentration as he appeared to turn that consideration over in his mind.
              Interesting. Ospar had been thinking of others’ welfare as he saw it, but hadn’t stop to wonder how those same people would feel about what he identified as their problems. At least his heart was in the right place, the priest decided. Ospar just needed to let his intelligence in on the debate.
              Hoping to drive the point home, Rivek added to his observation, “I guarantee you, the Empire is interested in what you will do for it. No one cares what you want.”
              A burst of laughter behind them made both men whirl around. The hems of Rivek’s robes snapped as he faced Nobek Jol, who must have been following silently. He smirked at the scowling Ospar.
              The Nobek said, “Poor Ospar. It sounds like the master is saying exactly what I’ve been telling you all along: you are not the center of the universe.”
              “Speaking of things people don’t care about: your opinion.” Ospar told Rivek in a complaining tone, “This is what I live with every day. This!” He pointed dramatically at Jol.
              Rivek thought about reminding him that he had chosen to clan the man. Prudence won out, and he kept his mouth shut.

Releasing Winter 2017

5 comments:

  1. Aaah, I'm so excited! I know your time line predictions are set for release to be at the end of this year but do you have a date set? We're all so looking forward to this ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will announce as soon as I do have a date. Right now, things are too hectic to be sure.

      Delete
  2. So looking forward to another Clan beginning book! Now, no pressure...just curious which clan is after Ospar? Maybe Korkla? Have to admit I'm very interested to read about them. I think Raxstad was mentioned way back in Clan Rajhirs book and would love to see how their clan came about. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I'm curious about Korklas clan as well. Plus their history with Fahim would be interesting to read. (I apologize if i misspelled her name)

      Delete
    2. No idea which clan I'll work on next. I'm just trying to get through Ospar right now, lol. He doesn't like me to think of other clans when I'm supposed to be focused on him.

      Delete