Friday, September 1, 2017

Question of the Week



Q: Are there any clans/Mataras you had trouble writing because you couldn't connect to them as well as the others?

A: That's an interesting question. I actually haven't had any real issues connecting with any of my characters, at least on some level. Every character I've written has some facet of myself in him/her, even if it's only a sliver. I do identify less with younger characters (for example, Clan Bacoj, Cassidy, Clan Dusa) because of their lack of life experience. But I still connected with them and didn't find them difficult to write, reflecting on how I was at that age.

I also do detailed character studies before I write the first word of a story. Character development is a huge chunk of my process, usually taking several days. I end up knowing my gang so well that I really can get into their heads and understand where they're coming from at any given moment.

Thanks for the question!

Do you have a question for me? Leave it in the comments, and I might answer it in a future blog.

4 comments:

  1. I've often wished the Mataras were a little older. I guess that's ever since clan Tranis got Cassidy. She was 18, the clan would be more middle aged and I just wonder even if they clan for life, would the Mataras feel like Rahjir mother and that they weren't mature enough and clanned d too young? One clan did have an older Mataras (48) but I was thinking maybe even in their 30s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that one of these days, if my schedule ever calms down (insert hysterical laughter here), I can perhaps write a series of mature women and clans. Alien Caged was so well received that I know the 'classical' ladies want their books.

      Delete
  2. Why do you have different cover art for the international versions of your books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you working on? It has been awhile since we had an update. I know the next Clan Beginnings is coming out winter time but are you working on anything else?

    ReplyDelete