Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Writing of Alien Slave (Clans of Kalquor 5)




When I think of all the inspirations that went into Alien Slave, my head fairly whirls.  There were so many, it’s hard to sort them all out.  I’ll keep it simple and tell you about the four biggest ideas that contributed to the latest installment of the Clans of Kalquor.

Let me first explain that because something inspires me, it doesn’t mean that specific element will end up in the story.  My first inspiration, the vision of an alien sex slave auction, did not make it into Alien Slave.  But it led to the idea of the Dantovonian brothels I’ve mentioned in previous books and a sex worker named Dani Watson.  When it came down to it, it was her experience as someone who performs intimate acts for money that got the story rolling.  How an Earther coming from a repressive society could have ended up a sex slave – a willing sex slave – made for a very different heroine from previous ones in the series.  Her impulsive decision to sign on as a Dantovonian brothel worker was very indicative of Dani’s emerging impetuous nature.

This led to Inspiration #2:  the poor little rich girl whose reckless behavior constantly lands her in trouble.  Dani is a complicated, sometimes unsympathetic heroine.  Often I found myself wanting to shake her.  She’s self-absorbed and acts before she thinks things through.  She can be downright unlikeable at times.  But there’s a wounded quality that also made me want to give her a hug and tell her things aren’t as bad as they appear.  That she can find people out there to love and trust with all her heart, without fear they’ll abandon her. 

Speaking of damaged characters, Imdiko Krijero was my third inspiration.  I’ve written about the uber-confident clans of Rajhir, Clajak, and Tranis.  That trend changed with Bacoj’s clan in Alien Salvation.  This young clan was still growing into their poise, which was fascinating for me to chart.  After that, I was ready to explore a Kalquorian who had real issues.  So now we have Krijero, an Imdiko as raw and hurting as Dani.  A stunning past rejection has combined with physical and social awkwardness to make him fear getting close to others.  He is not confident in the relationship department, though he is a fully mature man with intelligence, good looks, position, and rank.  Even the many assurances from his sympathetic clanmates cannot convince Krijero he isn’t lacking.

The final inspiration I’ve blogged about before.  My husband is absolutely addicted to survival shows, so I’m often bombarded with images of people eating bugs, drinking their own urine, and starting fires by rubbing two sticks together.  Putting my characters in a primitive survival situation and having them chased by mortal enemies was the last ingredient to be added to Alien Slave. 

It all came together in a way that I’m very happy with.  Stubborn, selfish Dani is ready to come face to face with three men who refuse to coddle her demons; men who won’t give her all she wants but will give her what she needs.  Krijero is about to get schooled in that just because someone might reject him, it doesn’t mean he’s unworthy.  Dramok Gelan and Nobek Wynhod have their hands full dealing with these two, and they’ll do it while fighting desperately to stay alive.

Coming from New Concepts Publishing February 17

3 comments:

  1. Ugrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I can't wait that long! LOL but I will cause I love your stories and want to read this one .....you write great fantasies!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia! Three weeks...it's not THAT long, lol.

      Delete
    2. It is when you tease us like you do! LOL....

      Delete