Tuesday, August 9, 2011

WIP Wednesday

As I write this, I am putting the final touches on the first Netherworld book, Drop Dead Sexy.  It took me a long time to concede to writing a paranormal series featuring vampires and werecritters.  Quite honestly, I feel like the genre has been done nearly to death.  The last thing I wanted to do was write another vampire/shifter novel, as much as I love these creatures.

But Netherworld kept pulling at me, kept whispering sweet, deadly nothings in my ear.  I finally had to heed the call to purge myself of this madness, if nothing else. And I'm glad I did, because Drop Dead Sexy is my favorite work to date, and Brandilynn is my favorite heroine.  I look forward to working with her again in the future, and that's good since the future holds at least three more books for the series.  For a dead girl, Brandilynn's plenty active. 

So I'll soon be throwing my vampire/shifter hat in the ring.  We'll see how it does; if it rises above the multitudes of so many paranormal novels already clamoring for readers or if it becomes just another title in the throng.  Meanwhile, here's an excerpt just for fun.  Brandilynn's ghost has borrowed the body of channel Isabella, and she's just met vampire Patricia:

     As we followed Patricia, I snorted, "Long on manners around here, aren't we?"
     The vampire flung a fanged grin over her shoulder at me.  "Only when we're trying to charm someone out of their blood."  Her gray-pink tongue traced her lips, and she tittered when my eyes widened.  She hurried ahead, pulling well ahead of us.
     Okay, now I was grumpy.  "Who is Morticia, exactly?" I whispered to Dan and Lana.
     The corner of Dan's mouth quirked.  "Tristan's sister.  Behave yourself.  She's not one for foolishness."
     Oops.  Properly chastised, I snapped my mouth shut.  At least now I knew where I'd seen her before.  Any time Commissioner Keith held a press conference or gave an interview, his sister Patricia lurked in the background.  She'd also attended a few events I'd been dragged to on clients' arms.  I should have recognized her.
     A werehog with big yellow tusks brushed past me, and I fought not to scream.  Zoo Flu doesn't jump around easily, thank goodness.  It's a blood-borne virus, but most of us normals are still squeamish about skin-to-skin contact.   I barely restrained an urge to check Isabella's arms for open cuts.
     Next to me, Lana seemed more cheerful than ever, something that lowered her a bit in my estimation.  How could anyone be so jolly with all these scary bugaboos surrounding us?  "Patricia is totally dedicated to her brother.  She has the most pull with him, even more than the Judge."
     Patricia climbed the two steps of the bandstand, joining a dark-haired man standing with his back to us.  Despite the very expensive-looking suit covering him, I knew that body on sight and experienced a thrill up my spine. 
     The greeting on my lips died without being uttered as Tristan turned towards his sister and I caught sight of his lily-white face.  Even with several yards still separating us, I could see the more predatory expression he wore.  There was an aloofness in his attitude that hadn't been there before.  He looked as watchful as a hawk looking for tasty bunnies in the meadow.  My skin crawled.
     Dan whispered, "I know I don't have to remind you, but Tristan as a vampire is different from his ghost self."
     "Dan and the girl are here," Patricia said to Tristan, and he swung his dark gaze towards us.  I couldn't control the shiver that raced down my spine at that calculating stare.  He looked at me as if I were a particularly delicious morsel he couldn't wait to take a bite out of. 
     "Is he dangerous to us?" I whispered to Lana and Dan.
     Lana's smile slipped a touch.  I felt better about her again.  "All vampires are dangerous, even the good ones.  You have nothing to fear from Tristan though.  He's never lost control." 
     Her hesitant tone didn’t have to finish her last sentence.  That we know of hung unsaid in the air.
     A massive creature stepped to Tristan and Patricia's side, and I gasped.  Even on all fours, the majestic griffin stood tall, reaching Tristan's shoulder.  The pure white feathers on its eagle's head laid flat … not a plume out of place, I thought.  The eagle part of it extended down to its chest and shoulders.  The black and brown plumage of its folded wings was a monochromatic contrast against the golden lion's pelt that made up the rest of the gorgeous entity.  I couldn't help but stare.  I didn't know Fulton Falls had one of the ancient beings as a resident.
     "Cool pet," I breathed.
     Lana bit her lip.  "I wouldn't call Augustus a pet to his face.  You'll lose poor Isabella's head that way."
     Boy, I just kept putting my foot in my mouth.  "Maybe I should just shut up for the rest of the night," I groused.
     There was no humor in Dan's reply.  "That might be wise."
     I scowled at him.  "You know, you've been kind of a jerk since I borrowed Isabella's body.  I don't like you too much right now, Dan."

No comments:

Post a Comment