Wednesday, April 19, 2023

WIP Wednesday - First Mataras: Irene

 The first draft is done! The first round of edits are underway. Plus, we have a cover, courtesy of the brilliant Erin Dameron-Hill!



A woman who wants to experience life

“Is it worth your life?” Sherv took her hands in his.

Irene wished she wasn’t wearing the gloves. She wanted to know how his skin felt against hers. She wanted the warmth, simple contact with another. It leant a note of desperation to her tone. “This is life. Getting out, meeting people who aren’t ‘safe’ for me to know, seeing and hearing and touching and tasting what Earth would keep from me. When I run away is the only time I truly live.” She gripped his hand tightly. “Don’t send me away. I know the risks, and they’re worth it.”

He considered. Long seconds slipped by as Jemi and Rusp watched in apprehension, their gazes shifting from Irene to Sherv and back.

“I not know how to decide,” Sherv said at last. “You make sense, but I scared for you. I want you here, but this is hard when you could suffer.”

“Give me my own choice, Sherv. Do what Earth won’t, and let me make my own decisions.”

Another pause. He slowly nodded. “You be as happy as you can. We will help if you want to visit.”

“Thank you.” She felt a soaring lightness to not be shown the door. “This is a gift you’re giving me.”

  Releasing Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment