Wednesday, September 25, 2019

WIP Wednesday - First Mataras: Maryam


A costly decision...


Dergan’s strength wavered, on the brink of failing. He grasped Maryam’s shoulder, and she jerked, gazing up at him with blue-sky eyes.
                “As much as you hate me at this moment, it’s nothing compared to how much I hate myself,” he rasped.
Maryam’s startled expression grew to deeper shock. She halted to face him. “Right now, it’s hard to get a handle on how I feel. I’m angry, yes. Heartbroken. Scared.”
“Earth won’t take you back, will they?” He knew the answer but couldn’t keep from asking to hear the awful truth.
“If they do, it will be to execute me.”
Dergan’s heart stuttered. Kels had heard rumors that such judgments had been handed down, but they hadn’t been able to credit it. A death sentence for being abducted, just because sexual intercourse might have occurred? Even if it had, there was no mercy if it had been against a woman’s will?
“What the hell is wrong with your government?”
“Good question. When you find the answer, let me know.” Maryam twitched a humorless smile.
His transgression was worse than he’d believed. Dergan made helpless motions, unable to grasp how it had all gone wrong. “I can’t apologize, because it won’t be enough. I can’t possibly atone for what I’ve done."
“I appreciate you realizing that.” Her expression had softened. She looked at him with something resembling compassion and seemed ready to say more. 

Releasing late 2019.

1 comment: