Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Writing of Alien Salvation




Alien Salvation is out, and hopefully you’re enjoying it.  It was originally supposed to be the third of the Clans of Kalquor series, the tale of Jessica McInness’ sister Lindsey.  There were so many options to contemplate when it came to Alien Salvation.  Would Lindsey and her parents suffer at the hands of Earth’s fanatical government following Jessica’s coronation as Kalquor’s empress?  Would they believe Jessica had turned traitor or been forcibly taken to the enemy planet?  Would it take a Kalquorian invasion to reunite the family, or would they somehow escape Earth on their own?  So many questions, and I wondered which path to put Lindsey on.

Then the muse appeared, presenting me with another story that would bump Alien Salvation to fourth place on the roster.  Alien Conquest, like the class bully, muscled its way into the line and refused to be moved back.  Lindsey would have to wait.

A little aside here:  Alien Conquest’s ending with the wholesale destruction of its cities and the majority of Earth’s population was as big a surprise for me as it was for you.  Not until I reached the end of that book’s outline did I know about Armageddon.  I was under the impression there would be an invasion and occupation by the Kalquorians.  But no, the story insisted on this horror; and while I don’t always like where the muse takes me I’ve learned to not argue with it.  I’ve learned through experience that not doing what the story wants always leaves me with a below par tale, no matter how well written.  The Clans of Kalquor series is dark and often brutal, but even I was sobered to see how the war ended up.  I know it upset some readers terribly; my proofreader was absolutely aghast at the loss of life.  But I stand behind it because I truly believe it is the story that was meant to have been written.

It also set up Alien Salvation, birthing it naturally; a child with a clear cut destiny.  Now I knew Lindsey’s situation without a doubt:  she was on Earth, struggling for survival on her broken world, and there were Kalquorians arriving by the thousands looking to rescue as many people as they could … and searching for their worried Empress’ family.  Unfortunately for Lindsey, she is days away from her last known whereabouts, so the Kalquorians are looking in the wrong place.

About the time I was writing Alien Salvation, there was a short-lived reality show on cable called The Colony.  It depicted several people who had volunteered for an experiment.  Under the premise that they had survived a killer disease that had resulted in a breakdown of emergency services and modern conveniences, these people were forced to survive by their wits, using what they found in their post-apocalyptic environment.  Attacked repeatedly by a rival group, foraging for food, desperately trying to eke out an existence with only luck and skill, it was a grim look into what could be if our worst fears came true.  It gave me plenty of food for thought as to what Lindsey and her parents had to face.  It also showed me how screwed I am if I was ever to find myself in similar circumstances.

The only thing in question was what kind of clan would stumble across Lindsey?  We’ve seen Rajhir’s clan, a trio of men secure in their convictions that they must do whatever necessary to secure Kalquor’s future.  Clajak’s clan rules Kalquor, doing what they have to in order lead their people.  Tranis’ clan is composed of leaders as well.  All three previous clans have been older, capable, and confident groups of men, men of means and experience. 

I decided it was time to bring in the young guns, a clan of Kalquorians just starting out in their shared lives.  They would be unsure of themselves, not to mention of each other.  To my delight, that put a whole new spin on Lindsey’s would-be rescuers and added unavoidable conflict to the mix.  Not to influence your perceptions, but my proofreader said featuring a raw, untried clan lacking in self confidence made Alien Salvation his favorite of the series.

So here they are:  Lindsey, Bacoj, Japohn, and Vax.  All trying to find their way in situations they never anticipated being in, wondering if they can trust each other to survive their dangerous circumstances.  I sincerely hope you enjoy the journey they’ll take you on.

2 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying it so far. My only problem is to much company at my house and work and not enough to sit down and just read this book. but I got about 30% done though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get to make it last longer that way! I'm glad to hear you like it so far. :D

    ReplyDelete