Friday, February 25, 2022

Tracy's Top Ten: Books

Note: these are in no particular order (and they do change according to my mood).

1. The Stand by Stephen King

The Stand - Wikipedia       

No surprise if you've followed me for any length of time. I'm known for my love of Stephen King's works.


2. The Gray House by Marian Petrosyan

The Gray House by Mariam Petrosyan  

I love Russian literature, and Petrosyan's one and only book is at the head of the list for me. A wandering, weaving work of bizarre excellence, it's not for everyone. There really is no back cover blurb that can give you an honest account of what this story is. You simply have to experience it and form your own opinion.


3. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien

 Tolkien: Tedious or Tremendous? | The New Yorker 

Can I count this as one book? Since I always read the trio one after the other, I do. And while I'm at it...


4. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

The Hobbit You Grew Up With Isn't Quite the Same As the Original, Published  75 Years Ago Today | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine 

Because, of course.


5. The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison

Amazon.com: The Butterfly Garden (The Collector Book 1) eBook : Hutchison,  Dot: Books  

This story messed with my head. Big time. And it continues to do so whenever I revisit it.


6. The Sandman by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: Overture Deluxe Edition: Gaiman, Neil, Williams III, JH:  9781401248963: Amazon.com: Books 

Granted, this is a comic book series (which can now be purchased in gorgeous collections). But Gaiman's storytelling in any form is phenomenal. I can't wait for the Netflix series.


7. NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Amazon.com: NOS4A2: A Novel: 9780062200587: Hill, Joe: Books 

Stephen King's son is definitely a chip off the old block when it comes to weaving creepy tales, as well as taking a page (pun intended) from novelist mother Tabitha King's insane ability to craft the most incredible characters you've ever read.


8. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Something Wicked This Way Comes: Bradbury, Ray: 8601400271759: Amazon.com:  Books 

If there's any author whom I might choose over Stephen King, it's Ray Bradbury. For horror or fantasy, no one else compares, and Bradbury's tale of a fearsome traveling carnival is a masterwork.


9. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein 

Nothing but love forever for this. 


10. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Lord of the Flies by William Golding 

It's a classic they assigned to you in high school for a reason. Always a beautiful, brutal treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment