Friday, February 4, 2022

What I’m Loving – A Grab Bag of Good Stuff

I have opinions, like everyone else. I have a blog that I don’t do enough with beyond talking about my own books. So I’ve decided to post a few opinions on miscellaneous items that have won my recent interest (even though little here is new). Maybe you’ll find some good stuff you didn’t know about.

 

Book

It makes sense an author would talk about the books she finds fab. I just finished Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and his son Owen, published back in 2017. If you’ve ever thought the world would fall apart if men were left to fend for themselves in a womanless world, the Kings are in your corner. A little bit horror and a lot of modern fantasy make this a terrific read.

Stephen King and Son Team Up for a Novel About Women Whose Sleep Should Not  Be Disturbed - The New York Times

 

Amazon

B & N

Apple

Google

Kobo

*As a side note, I keep a list of recommended reading on Bookbub’s site. You can see what I’m in love with at https://www.bookbub.com/authors/tracy-st-john.

 

Music

When I latch onto a band, I become downright obsessed. For the last few months, I’ve been all about the Finnish symphonic metal group Nightwish. Pounding rock framed in orchestral and operatic drama and the greatest female singer alive in their third vocalist Floor Jansen (fight me on this, I dare you)…how have they been around for twenty-five years and I’m just finding out about them? Oh well, better late than never. Highest recommendations for their studio CDs One (with original singer Tarja Turunen), Imaginaerum (with second singer Anette Olzon), and Endless Forms Most Beautiful (with the vocal goddess herself, Floor). Any of their live CDs and videos are well worth checking out. Have a look at a couple of live performances, the epic “Ghost Love Score” and rock anthem “Last Ride of the Day” (links below) and be amazed.

10 interesting facts about Nightwish — Noizr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47e_961OQWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzIMx7Dqa_M

 

Fun to Follow

Facebook: Every time a post pops up on FB by brothers James or Robert Welsh, I have to stop and watch. James is a skincare expert, and Robert is a fantastic makeup artist. Though they are geared to a more youthful audience than I belong to, they still have great tips for everyone…and are often hilarious, especially when they get together and try bad makeup hacks posted by popular influencers.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/JamesWelsh.Videos/

https://www.facebook.com/watch/RobertWelsh.Videos/

 

Twitter: Well, this one isn't fun. It’s honestly heartbreaking. But one of the most important Twitter accounts out there is https://twitter.com/AuschwitzMuseum. They post the unvarnished history of the infamous concentration camp, along with bios of those who perished there. Well worth the sadness to remember what must never happen again.

On the opposite end of the spectrum come the witty posts of https://twitter.com/JortsTheCat. After recently being CATapulted (sorry, had to do it) into fame because of an AITA post, which you’ll find on Jorts’ pinned tweet, this adorable feline has an ardent following for good reason. He’s insightful, funny, falling into the trash, and currently unbuttered (again, check the pinned tweet thread).

 

Favorite Indulgence

Handmade boots in the coolest styles. Need I say more? Pricey, but the kicks at Freebird (www.freebirdstores.com) are amazing. My boot collection is already ridiculous, especially for someone who lives waaay down in the sweaty South, and it’s only getting bigger thanks to this site.

 

What good stuff are you finding out there? Drop your loves in the comments section, kudos for any links available. Unfortunately, I have yet to find out why I can’t post comments myself…Blogger is completely wrecked for me in that regard…but do feel free to converse amongst yourselves. I’ll be reading to find new goodies too.

No comments:

Post a Comment