Friday, May 31, 2024

Now On Sale! Clan Beginnings: Clan and Crave - Chapter Five, Scene Four

  

Now on sale: Amazon, Amazon UK, Nook, Apple, Kobo, Smashwords, print

Defensive training with Sletran

* * * *

“Arms up, body curled, Conyod. Block, block, block.”

The young Imdiko peered between his forearms at Sletran, who circled him while throwing soft punches. The warrior’s fists were enclosed in foam gloves, which gentled already mild blows. Conyod’s forearms kept his head and upper body shielded. He protected his belly by hunching low while searching for an opening to strike.

It was no use. Sletran had no weaknesses. He gave Conyod no opportunity to launch an offense.

“Question,” he called.

Sletran halted the barrage at once. He straightened and eyed his pupil. “What’s up?”

“What am I supposed to do when my enemy offers no chance for me to fight back? That’s what’s happening here unless I’m missing something.”

“You aren’t.” Sletran grinned. “I usually leave a gap for you to try the moves I’ve taught you, to see if you’ve been paying attention. Which you usually do, I’m glad to say.”

His praise warmed Conyod, who returned the smile. “So, you didn’t want me to go on offense this time? Then what’s the point?”

“The point is, my young friend, often you won’t get an opening to take advantage of. At least, not right away. You may end up against an opponent who’s too good to offer you a lucky break.”

“What do I do if it happens?”

“What you just did. Keep protecting yourself and hope your enemy tires himself enough to make a mistake. By concentrating on defense, you won’t get exhausted as fast, though you might be plenty bruised before he either overcomes you or you can seize your opportunity to fight or run.”

“Or have a big, brave Nobek save my ass.”

Sletran chuckled. “Naturally. Sometimes victory is in merely surviving. Failing to win a fight or destroy your foes but living to see another day with your honor intact can be reward enough.”

“Has such a situation happened to you?”

“In simulated battles as part of the ground troops, yes. It isn’t pleasant. Nobeks hate to lose.”

“But it’s sort of pretend, isn’t it? What about for real?”

“I haven’t been challenged yet, which means it’s always on my mind. If I face an opponent I can’t win against but come out alive, will I be content simply to have endured? I hope so, because as a soldier, it’s a very real risk.”

Conyod was quiet as he considered. Finally, he said, “Hold on until you can’t any longer. That’s the lesson?”

“Pretty much. I had an instructor who retired as a Global Security officer. He told us of having to battle two men hand-to-hand for an entire hour. He was jumped by these guys he was investigating while he was off duty, so he didn’t have his blaster on him. Just blades against blades, then fists against fists.”

Conyod was awed. “Wow. Intense. An hour-long fight? I’m beat after fifteen minutes, and you aren’t trying to kill me.”

“Don’t ignore basic fitness, my friend. Endurance training is as important as learning to defend yourself.” Sletran eyed him for a moment. “It can be said the same for preparing to face emotional and mental challenges too. You’re visiting your parents soon.”

Conyod’s stomach instantly knotted. “Yeah. I don’t think I’m ready.”

“It’s tough because you’re fighting your battles, your parents are fighting theirs, then you end up fighting each other though you don’t mean to.”

“Dr. Hupsan says they’re doing better. My Dramok and Imdiko fathers are, anyway. I’m…” His voice died out, unable to admit the worst to Sletran.

“Scared?” The Nobek squeezed his shoulder. “It isn’t anything to be ashamed of, you know. Returning to the ranch is a big step, even for a few hours.”

“I wish you could come with me.” It was the closest Conyod had dared to admitting his adoration for the Nobek.

“You can do this, Conyod. The small Imdiko kid who stood up to a bunch of bigger, battle-trained Nobeks can handle anything. You don’t need me to defend you from your parents.”

It wasn’t fear making Conyod want his hero at his side. Protection had nothing to do when it came to why he wanted Sletran there. However, he hadn’t missed his hero had referred to him as a “kid.”

He’d laugh at me if I admitted I’m in love with him. Maybe when I’m eighteen he won’t see me as a child. Especially if I stop whining how scared I am.

Two years seemed forever to wait, though.

“I’m good.” He gave Sletran what he hoped was a self-assured smile. “Don’t worry about me. I can do this.”

“Damned right you can.” Sletran assumed an offensive stance. “Okay, this time I’ll give you an opening. It could be soon, or it could be minutes from now, so stay alert and keep your head down.”

* * * *

He needed a hero and found two. Can love rescue him again?

Nobek Sletran never took Imdiko Conyod’s infatuation seriously when he rescued him years before. When Conyod shows up in his life again as a strong and successful man instead of a traumatized victim, Sletran has to reconsider the one he once rejected and now can’t imagine life without.

Conyod has never given up on the man he considers his hero. Sletran is all he’s ever wanted for a clanmate, and he’s determined to win him at last. But the past refuses to be laid to rest. When Conyod convinces Sletran to see him for who he’s become, will who he was resurface and destroy the love they’re building?

Sletran’s commanding officer Dramok Erybet is instantly fascinated by Conyod when the soldier brings his love on base for a visit. However, Sletran isn’t the Nobek Erybet feels is right for him. When he rejects the Nobek, he risks losing Conyod too.

Against the backdrop of heartbreaking childhood tragedy, a ghost who haunts Conyod and his grief-stricken family, and military brass determined to oust Erybet from the rank he’s worked so hard to reach, three men must come to terms with who they are. When tragedy strikes, the nightmares of the past must be faced and buried once and for all. Conyod, Sletran, and Erybet must dare everything to find redemption and hold on to each other.

Now on Sale: Amazon, Amazon UK, Nook, Apple, Kobo, Smashwords, print

 

No comments:

Post a Comment