Wednesday, November 11, 2020

WIP Wednesday - Clans of Europa: Tina

 

Meet your new clanmates:

Maybe if I get them to like me, they’ll keep treating me well. Sugar and spice and everything nice.

It was easy to slip into pleasing mode. The instinct fit like an old, comfortable shoe. “You understand I’m not important to this place, right? I’m only an aspirant. Not even that for much longer.” Rejected despite an eagerness to satisfy those with the power to choose her fate. Making others happy had worked no better on Europa than in Tina's father’s household.

“I think you’re important. A young, beautiful woman, well-liked by those in charge. I’ve seen your records.”

“Why’d you look at those, uh, Emeego?” She stumbled over the part of his name she remembered.

He chuckled. “This floor is hard. I’m sure if I knelt on your rug it would be better, but maybe you won’t mind me sitting on your bed?” He did so and gazed up at her with that disarming friendliness. “Imdiko is my breed. Translated into your language, it means caregiver. My name is Yorso.”

“I’m sorry.”

“No problem. As for why I read your convent records, it was necessary for us to learn about those who live here. Sit with me.” He patted the mattress.

She would have preferred to remain standing. Sitting on the bed with a man could get her in trouble.

We don’t have to lie with them to be judged unclean. Mary, angrily speaking in her head again.

“Tina, it’s okay.” The sweet face took on a note of sadness.

Survival was all about keeping those who had control over her life happy. Apparently, these three Kalquorians were the authority to bow to for the moment.

She went to the end of the cot, as far from him as she could, before sinking down on the edge. She glanced at the other two. Big and Scary was still big and scary, his expression as unreadable as before. She had little hope of impressing him. The other Kalquorian remained on his knee, as friendly as before, but watchful.

His smile never faltered, but he somehow managed to appear gloomier. “Am I that frightening?”

“Not as much as him.” She darted a glance at the Kalquorian with the biggest muscles, hoping she hadn’t made a mistake by noting how fearful she found him.

His startled expression was a revelation. As was the flush of embarrassment. The handsome brute possessed feelings after all.

The others chuckled, though Yorso narrowed his eyes at their companion. “Osopa’s not as bad as you think. He’s ticklish behind the knees.”

The big man’s mouth opened and shut. He scowled at Yorso, for an instant turning ferocious. The next moment, a reluctant smile flitted, turning him only slightly scary and remarkably attractive. The kneeling alien laughed outright at him.

Releasing in December.


5 comments: