Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Saying Goodbye to Shalia



Pretty soon, we’ll be wrapping up Book 11 of Shalia’s Diary on the blog. I have recently finished writing the first draft of the final chapter of her story, Book 12. Right now, that book is slated to be released sometime in January, and the blog will begin its final run a couple weeks afterward.

It feels like the end of an era. As it should, I suppose. I’ve spent nearly six years with Shalia Monroe, now Matara Shalia of Clan Seot, sharing her story with all of you. I’ve been writing her tale almost every single day since 2012. And now I’m saying goodbye, leaving her to her life after all those adventures.

Yes, I’ll miss the woman. After all, she’s been a constant for quite some time now. When I set out to write a Kalquor universe story from the point of view of one Armageddon survivor, I didn’t know everything she would face. I had a faint idea of how her story might eventually wrap up, but that early notion bears little resemblance to the end of the diary. She ended up surprising me, possibly as much as those of you who checked in twice a week to cheer her on. Or to groan at her latest boneheaded move. It’s been quite an adventure, a fun one, to share her journey. I’ll share some thoughts in future posts about different parts of that trip and what it meant to me.

At the same time, it’s a relief to step away from the diary. I won’t lie; Shalia’s Diary has worn me out at times. Shalia is tired too. I can see her in my head, giving me a look that says, enough already. If there’s anything I’ve learned, it’s to listen to my characters. Shalia has handed in her resignation. I have to let her go, and I think we’re both more than ready to wave goodbye.

After all, we’ve seen a lot. Some of my most emotional moments have come with Shalia. The horror of the Little Creep and the It are high on my list of ‘let’s not do that again’. Those were some truly gut-wrenching storylines that freaked me out. Then the sadness of saying goodbye to Clan Dusa, Nayun, Betra and Oses…though some of them were on the level of ‘until we meet again’, they were still difficult to get through. So yeah, Shalia and I are exhausted.

We’re down to one more adventure for Shalia to face…and I think you know what’s coming. Then we can at last walk away from each other, knowing it’s been done to the best of our abilities. Will Shalia and I meet again? Or will someone else from her diary step forward and ask for their story to be told? At this point, I have no idea. I just know it’s time to let that group head into the sunset, having earned a respite after the long journey.

Happy trails, Shalia. Thanks for the ride.

10 comments:

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed Shalia's adventures. It's hard to believe it's been 6 years. Thank you for all the hours of enjoyment you have provided. I'll miss Shalia, but I understand why her adventures are done and why you need a break. I agree the Little Creep and the It were high on the list of "let's not run into these guys again".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I'm glad you came along on Shalia's journey.

      Delete
  2. This has been thrilling, all the way! She’s been an amazing character; I’m SO happy you’ve shared her story! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed Shalia's Diary but I am ready for some Kalquorians - do you plan to write any more books about other Clans - I would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The diary has been one of the most clever things I have seen from an authur. I can't believe it has been 6 years. Thank you for all the time you have put into this venture. I have all the books and eagerly await book 12. I will miss her but look forward to all your future books. Thank you again for such a wonderful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant believe its been 6years already wow. I still rember when i first got my kindle and found your first kalquor book, wasn’t sure after i read it, but then got the second and was hooked and have been a fan ever since. Thank you for your writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I'm so glad you've enjoyed it!

      Delete