Wednesday, October 14, 2015

WIP Wednesday – Netherworld IV: Animal Attraction




Unfortunately, Levi is one of those for whom the word ‘no’ translates to ‘maybe if you keep trying’. He looked me up and down with unconcealed interest as he said, “I came looking for you. Dan Saling sent me.”

“Dan? Try again, dog breath. You can’t see ghosts.” I let go of my glamour so he could see fangs. 

Gerald sighed and picked up the bottle of BP9 he’d dropped when I’d jumped him. He shoved it in my direction. “Don’t provoke her, Wolf Boy.”

Levi frowned at him as I shook my head, indicating I didn’t need the juice. The agent asked him, “What’s the matter, kitten? Can’t handle Ms. Payson?”

“I’d say I handled her just fine, pup. Now shut up before she decides to take a bite out of you. I won’t stand in her way for that part, but you better believe you won’t get a taste of her after she’s done tasting you.”

I didn’t like how this conversation was shaping up for several reasons. I gave the two shifters angry eyes as I said, “Why don’t you both just settle down. I’m not territory to be marked.”

Levi took a good look at me, this time keeping his gaze above neck level. For an instant his gold eyes glowed. The shine faded and he nodded to Gerald in grudging respect. “Don’t provoke. Check.” He drew a deep breath and addressed me again, his tone a good deal more polite. “Dan relayed his message through that psychic who hears the dead. Lana?”

That didn’t help my temper one bit. What was Dan thinking, sending Levi here to see me? He knew how badly things went when I worked on flying. He knew what situation Levi might stumble on.

My irritation wasn’t helped as the temporary warmth of life drained from my body. I was going back to cold, undead vampire, the fleeting joy vanishing too quickly. I snapped words like whips at Levi. “What. Do. You. Want?”

He rolled his gaze to the deadly darkness that was Gerald. “Private matter. Government matter.”

Gerald folded his massive arms over his massive chest and frowned. “Don’t even think about it. Do you know how fast a new vampire moves and how uncontrollable it can be?”

I stomped my foot. “I am not a vampire! I’m just trapped in one.”

Gerald sighed. “Sorry, Brandilynn. I just don’t want anything bad to happen because I wasn’t close by to stop it. I could care less for Agent Wolfie here, but you’d never forgive yourself.”

He was right, as usual. I swallowed a lump in my throat, brought on by the knowledge that when I really lost my temper I couldn’t be trusted.

No release date set.

No comments:

Post a Comment