Wednesday, November 6, 2013

WIP Wednesday – First Mataras: Michaela




Michaela had never seen such wide shoulders on anyone before.  The dreadlocked Kalquorian was the epitome of the word ‘huge’.  All muscle, he made her feel as fragile as crystal waiting to be shattered.  

He bowed as Korkla introduced him.  “This is my Nobek, Michaela.  His name is Raxstad.”
Raxstad straightened and smiled.  “I hope I do not frighten you.”

She smiled back in self-defense.  Be nice to the big Kalquorian ape-man and maybe he won’t swipe your head off your shoulders, she thought.  Her heart pounded fit to jump out of her chest.

To cover her unease, Michaela said, “Your shoulders are almost as wide as you are tall.  You’re like a damned gorilla.”

Raxstad’s brows lifted.  “I am not familiar with the term ‘gorilla’.”

Crap, he probably thought she was insulting him.  Michaela curled a little into herself.  “It’s a big animal.  Not as big as you, but pretty big.  Strong too,” she added, hoping he’d take it as a compliment.

Raxstad crouched down before her, putting his face on the level of hers.  His features were broad, almost to the point of being brutish.  His face matched his body.  Michaela would not have called him handsome, but the Nobek was certainly a compelling sight.

The fierceness of his face eased with the smile he gave her.  Something loosened in her chest to see him look at her with warmth.  “I am intimidating you, little one.  Is this any better?”

Govi hurried to add, “Only Raxstad’s enemies need fear him, not lovely little Earther girls.”

But I’m not really a girl, Michaela’s mind whispered.  She was only a pretender, an abomination of a human.  These men had come to Plasius to clan a woman, not a freak of nature.  She’d teased them with her dancing, making swaying promises with her body that it could not uphold.  Now they looked at her in a certain way, as a fully female creature.  She had lied, not with words but with the dance.  They did not truly know what it was they looked upon.

Michaela drew in on herself again, tears filling her eyes.  A sob tumbled from her lips.

The three men moved in close as their faces registered alarm.  Korkla’s arm closed around her waist.  Raxstad’s hands covered hers where they clutched at her glass of shel.  Govi stroked her cheek with a careful hand.

The Imdiko coaxed her gently.  “Easy, Michaela.  It’s all right.  We only wish to talk to you tonight.  Nothing else.”

No release date set.

30 comments:

  1. this would make a good Christmas gift if your looking for release date ideas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this story is going to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question for you Tracy, I know you have a lot of books in the works and a lot of other ideas percolating don't suppose you can give us a hint if a Clan Beginnings book for Clan Korkla is one of them??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, but it's going to be some time before I can get to it. I've got a ton of clans glaring at me because I've only finished two Beginnings books so far, lol.

      Delete
  4. I second Erin-Collen on Christmas :)

    Some clans want their beginning books whereas there are much more poor mataraless ones. Take pity on them too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracy, I've been re-reading Alien Rule (thanks to your teaser) and have just remembered I wanted to ask about Narpok. Are you going to give poor girl her own story (even a short one and a clan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how things will end up for Narpok, but she will be coming back with a vengeance in an upcoming book (Book 10, Alien Hostage). We have in no way seen the last of her.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. another thought. you know how in Clan and Conviction we had a law enforcement feel to it? Can we get a book with a medical feel to it? all the mataras are in some kind of traumatized but could we get one with more medical than mental needs and a clan with a medical side?? I don't know how the other ladies feel that read your books but doctors are hot too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a possibility, but I don't have much expertise in the medical field. I have worked extensively in the law enforcement realm, with some dabbling in military and politics. Doctors are hot, but I don't know that I can write about their professions with much authority. I'll keep it in mind.

      Delete
  8. I love that you began your "Mataras" series with Michaela-the most fragile Matara (Yes, this includes RayRay). I love Erin's idea of a Kalquorian medical novel-we have Govi, Flencik, Degorsk (<3), and Conyod. Have I missed anyone? But they're all clanned. Maybe one of their Imdiko nurses... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another couple of thoughts:
    1) if we talk about avoiding the threat of extinction for Kalqs, every full unit (with a fertile Matara) should have at least three children (to replace their three fathers) or even more given the small numbers of such clans;
    2) why can't they have IVF with Earth women eggs being worked on with others (not their clan's) sperm and implanted in respective men's Kalq women? This possibility occurred to me while re-reading Michaela's story in Alien Interludes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That occurred to me too when I re-read Alien Embrace recently. After all those 10 eggs were successfully inseminated then as far as we know wasted. Instead of being useless there could have been 10 little Kalqs running loose since even if you don't use IVF I would think with their tech they could successfully develop the children. In Alien Redemption this was mentioned with earther animals on colonies so why not with the eggs harvested? With as fertile as Earth women are the Kalq women should have an option of bearing children too through IVF

      Delete
    2. No, no, no! It should be done only with women's consent! It was bad enough she'd been tricked into testing, to steal her eggs would have been unpardonable.

      Delete
    3. Never said anything about stealing them. Yes that time in that book they were stolen but if the Kalq's asked for volunteers I don't see any problem with that.

      Delete
    4. I've been talking about those ten

      Delete
    5. I actually addressed the question of frozen embryos waaay back at the beginning of the year when I did a 'reader's questions' post. The answer went like this:

      Yes, they (Kalquorian women) could be implanted with the unused embryos of Earther women who got pregnant and weren’t ready to have children. Since Mataras in the lottery are encouraged to explore all realms of compatibility with prospective clans, sex is going to happen and pregnancies are going to happen. With every embryo precious to the nearly extinct Kalquorians, they will not go to waste.

      You can see part one of that at http://tracystjohn.blogspot.com/2013/02/readers-questions-answered-part-one.html and part two at http://tracystjohn.blogspot.com/2013/02/readers-questions-answered-part-two.html

      Delete
    6. Thanks Tracy, Ive only been reading the online stuff for a month so I didn't realize that had been addressed.

      Delete
    7. I think there are a lot of new readers here. My visitor stats to the blog have blown up recently. That's why I put up the links to the readers questions...maybe I'll re-post those entries in the coming weeks. Yes, I know a few of you have asked about doing another round of questions. Maybe after the new year we'll get to it. :D

      Delete
  10. Other question Tracy since I don't know where else to post it. In Alien Redemption it mentions that while Coynod's brother's mount came home wounded his brother was never found/seen again but as far as I could tell there was no real proof he'd been killed. Is he dead or going to pop up at some point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is dead. More of that story will come to light when I do Clan Erybet's beginnings book.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for answering that although its sad that he wont pop up alive and well in the future. Another question from your book Alien Redemption, will the Imdiko Trusec be getting his own story?

      Delete
    3. I don't currently have plans for Trusec. It would make an interesting story. It's something to keep in mind for the future, perhaps.

      Delete
  11. I have a question for you. will you ever write about a martara giving birth to triplets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't come up yet as a part of a storyline, so I have no plans for that right now.

      Delete
    2. LOL I can just see the Kalq faces if triplets came. Think any of the big guys would faint?

      Delete
  12. Have been re-reading Alien Conquest again :)
    What about Sister Bernadette? Are you planning on giving her a story, perhaps a short one? It\d be interesting to see who it would take to convert this uptight lady, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aspirant Tina is next in line for this series, with Bernadette after her, and then aspirant Mary.

      Delete
  13. Yay! Tracy, thank you soooooooo much!!! (Jumping up and down, clapping my greedy hands)

    ReplyDelete