Saturday, June 29, 2013

All the Warning You Will Get




At long last the publisher’s contract for Clans of Kalquor 1:  Alien Embrace is almost up.  It runs out on June 30, making Monday the day I should be getting the electronic rights returned to me.  I say ‘should’ because other writers have seen delays in the past when it came to getting their rights back from small publishers.  I am hopeful that there will not be a long wait before Alien Embrace becomes mine once more and I can re-issue it independently.

I am not going to do a drawn out countdown to re-release it when the time comes, hence the title of this blog post.  I have already formatted and readied the book for publication.  There will be a new cover, which you see above.  With little pomp and ceremony, I will submit the re-edited version of Alien Embrace to the distributors as soon as I can.  The moment I know the book is available, I will let you know. 

There’s more to the new version of Alien Embrace than another cover.  In bringing this book in line with the rest of the series and fleshing out the characters, over 12,000 words have been added to the story.  This is despite my pulling out two original scenes that in final analysis didn’t serve the story so well.  You’ll get a much better picture of the pasts that shaped Rajhir and Flencik.  Best of all, it will be more book for less than its current $5.50 price tag. 

Has the gist of the story changed?  Not really.  If you want to skip the re-edited version, you won’t miss much as far as the series as a whole is concerned.  Feel free to stick with the original if it suits you. 

Also, if the captive/coerced sex bothered you the first time, it will continue to bother you with this one.  Clan Rajhir is made up of alien men on a mission to find a mate to breed with.  They have no experience with Earth women.  They don’t have our morals, our safewords, or our way of thinking.  I did not change them to suit those who wished Rajhir, Flencik, and Breft hadn’t been such clueless and demanding fellows in their pursuit of Amelia ... but I did add on to explain why they pushed their agenda when it was obvious Amelia found it impossible to simply give in.  If this is not your cup of tea, that’s perfectly fine...the captive fantasy is not for everyone. 

There will not be a new print version right away.  I will not get print rights back until all of the old copies of Alien Embrace have sold out.  If you’re a tree-book lover, you’ll have to wait for a bit on that. 

Keep your fingers crossed that the e-book rights are returned quickly.  I’m excited to get the updated version of Alien Embrace into your e-readers. 

While we’re on the subject of final warnings, I must share with you a recent email I received from Blogger, which hosts Wicked Words:

“Important Update to Adult Content Policy on Blogger

You are receiving this message because you are the admin of a blog hosted on Blogger which is identified to have Adult content.

Please be advised that on June 30th 2013, we will be updating our Content Policy to strictly prohibit the monetization of Adult content on Blogger.  After June 30th 2013, we will be enforcing this policy and will remove blogs which are adult in nature and are displaying advertisements to adult websites.

If your adult blog currently has advertisements which are adult in nature, you should remove them as soon as possible to avoid any potential Terms of Service violation and/or content removals.

Sincerely,
The Blogger Team”

As you will all note, I do not have advertisements to adult websites on my blog.  Hopefully there will be no problems as far as this page is concerned.  However, you know how these sites can get ridiculous when they start witch hunts – PayPal’s antics were not so long ago, and Amazon keeps changing the rules on us indie erotica writers as well.  With that in mind, I’m trying to be proactive about the situation.  Wicked Words should not run afoul of Blogger’s ToS, but if the blog abruptly disappears then you’ll know Blogger felt differently.  In that case, I will take my ball and play elsewhere.  Setting up a new blog could take a few days if it comes to that, so be warned.

If I do disappear from Blogger, by all means find me on Facebook (if you haven’t already).  I’ll update where and when the new blog will be up and running.  I’m very hopeful it won’t come to that, but you never know.  

Much love, my FoKs!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up. Hope you get the rights back ASAP, that cover is HOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember that on 2011 i read your novel that i told you i never had problems with this clan doing forced seduction and breeding intent on Amelia because on both real life and erotica scifi i find very justified this forced move on the female when your species had finally reach the endangered list and with the intention of breeding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. Good luck! LOVE LOVE LOVE the new cover. It's more in the style of the rest of the series. I have to say, though, that I wasn't too thrilled with the original cover. Amelia´s in front of them. On the rest of the covers, the other women are snuggled with their clans, I assumed because she's the first Earther to become a Kalquorian clan's Matara, and coerced at that, I could see the distance.

    If you read the series in order, the reader (and other Earthers including Amelia) know both nothing about Kalquorian culture, and they know little about Earthers. So although I wasn't thrilled, I understood especially Flencik's desperation to find a solution and get started. Besides, she was the only Earther female on Plasius. It's not as if they had choices.

    Clan Clajak did something similar to Jessica, didn't they? It wasn't as coerced, but I believe it was still similar. Funny how Jessica's "captivity" wasn't as uncomfortable to read as Amelia´s was...lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Jessica's experience didn't read as coerced because she originally asked to join a clan and started out willing. She wasn't nearly as uptight and damaged as Amelia either. I think that's why most weren't as concerned about her experience compared to Amelia and Cassidy.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to the re-release. Definitely like the new cover way more than the original.

    Will the previous publisher's version have to come down from distributors before you can launch the new version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I only have to wait for the formal reversion of rights to put out the new version. There can be a delay between a publisher telling Amazon or another distributor to take down a book and it actually happening.

      Delete
  5. I loved the first book and I am looking forward to reading the 're-released version. The new cover is beautiful! Thanks for the heads up with the blog. I hope they leave your blog alone, I really like it and it is obvious you put a lot of heads work into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I originally didn't read it because I'm not a fan of the 3D Poser art style book covers, kind of a turn off. A friend had me read Alien Slave and despite the cover I loved the book and went back for the whole series and since. If the above cover had been in place before I would have read it without endorsement. Looking forward to the changes.

      Delete
  6. I have a question about the new version of the book. If we already have the original version and we want the new version, will it overwrite the old one on our Kindle? If so, do we get a discounted price as we will then only have one book?

    Now about the blog, if you get booted off of here, will you lose all the past blogs that have been posted? I'm still trying to catch up on them and have not yet read them all so I'm a bit concerned about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regarding Alien Embrace, I don't think the new will overwrite the old version as the two are originating from different publishing entities. One would have to go in and change the original file submitted to Amazon for that to happen. I don't have access to the original, as it was managed by the publisher. Kindle will most likely see it as an entirely different book.

    I have a few of the old blogs saved like the Saturday random posts, but the majority will be lost if Blogger gives me the heave-ho. Read fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Tracy. Please let us know if you are planning on re-writing any of the other books also or is this the only one?

    Disappearing blog content.......I think I may just copy and paste it all into Word so I can read it before it's gone. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking a look at the other books as their contracts run out. I have gone over Alien Rule once and will do so a couple more times before I re-release it as self-pubbed next year. So far, it does not seem to need a major re-write like Embrace did. I've only added an extra 1000 words to it so far. It's big change will most likely just be the cover art.

      Delete
  9. The old version of Alien Embrace in Kindle format is no longer available on Amazon. The new version hasn't appeared yet.

    ReplyDelete