Saturday, March 16, 2013

Krijero, Krijero, Krijero...



Imdiko, you are one red-hot mess.  When I embarked on writing the back story of Clan Gelan, Clan and Conviction, I knew it would be complicated due to the time span involved.  That stretch of 13 years loomed big and scary before me when I sat down to wrestle with it.  Especially the three years that Gelan and Wynhod did everything in their power to get you to join their clan.  I did not look forward to dealing with it.

In actuality, the time span hasn’t been the issue.  Like any life, there are parts you can kind of skim over because they consist of only the everyday things.  Get up, go to work, have a few laughs, go to bed, get up the next morning and do it again.  Sure, there are events that give life its sparkle or the occasional unwanted kick in the pants, but those moments are more personal in nature most of the time.  Not really noteworthy.  So it turned out the spread of time wasn’t such a hard thing to deal with after all.

No, the problems came with you, Krijero.  All that hurt and fear make it difficult to take this ride.  As the person who is writing you, I have to live and hurt as you did.  It’s not easy. 

You could say, “Well, you didn’t have to write me this way.”  Yeah, I did.  You demanded it.  You wouldn’t have it any other way.  You may be one of the sweetest men I’ve ever created, but you are also the most stubborn.  Either I do it the way you want or you’ll run off and hide.  Like Gelan and Wynhod, sometimes I just want to shake you.  You are so frustrating!

Shake you, hug you, kick you, scream at you, rock you in my arms and tell you it’s all going to be all right ... this is what it’s been like living with you the last few weeks.  I thought Clan Erybet in Alien Redemption was a difficult bunch.  But you, Krijero?  You are so much harder to cope with.  And what happens in the end – well, that just about did it.  The only thing that got me to sit down and write those scenes was knowing that things would ultimately turn out okay.  After all, you got to Alien Slave and ‘Sins of the Past’, so it had to.  But this journey ... damn, you really took it out of me.

Yet for all you put me through, I still think of you and smile.  I could cheerfully choke you sometimes, I really could.  But in the end, I mostly want to take your hand and sit next to you, snuggled up against your shoulder.  We’ve been through a lot together in the last few weeks, and in a weird, perverse way, that makes me adore you all the more.  No wonder Gelan and Wynhod wouldn’t let you go.  You make us all crazy, but we know life would be so much less without Imdiko Krijero in it.

The first draft is done, and it’s time to edit, edit, edit, and then edit some more.  That means you and I have to go through it all over again a few more times.  I look at the coming weeks with a mix of anticipation and dread.  I know you do too, but we’ve gotten through this once already.  I suppose we can do it again.  I worry you’ll add to it, though.  It would be just like you to pile on the suffering.  You refuse to make this easy on anyone, including yourself.  Krijero, what am I going to do with you?

It’s a good thing you’re worth it, like Gelan and Wynhod keep saying.  And I’ll keep going, no matter how much you put me through the wringer.  But come on, big guy.  At some point, you gotta say “Enough.”  Let’s get this thing done already, okay?

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait!!!! This is the book I've been looking forward to the most. I adored Krijero since I first met him and I can't wait for more of him. Stubborn or not, I want that one for my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW .......this is why the world would be incomplete with out your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you! The world needs Tracy's words!!!

      Delete