Saturday, March 23, 2013

How Long Would You Wait for Love?



How long would you wait to win the one you love?  If you knew for certain this person was the one for you, that no one but this one soul  would do, how patient would you be?  Could you hang on in hopes of winning that person, knowing they may never be yours?

I find myself thinking about this a lot as I work on Clan and Conviction, the Beginnings story of Clan Gelan.  You all know how I’ve been struggling with Krijero and his fear of clanning.  I have to say Gelan and Wynhod’s determination to lure in this reluctant Imdiko puts me in awe. 

I’m afraid I would give up on someone like Krijero.  Three years is a long time to try to convince someone you will love them forever and never walk away.  Even knowing the other person loved me back, I don’t think I could handle the pain of having him right there and not be able to make him mine.  But I don’t know ... if it’s true love, shouldn’t I be able to see it through?  Even if I’ve got no guarantee we’ll be together in the end?

Fortunately, Gelan and Wynhod have that kind of strength.  They realize Krijero is not only perfect for them, they know he’s the only one for them.  This Dramok and Nobek would be the first to tell you they aren’t deep thinkers, and they have little use for games.  Yet for a slim chance of a life with Krijero, they obey the instinct that tells them he’s worth the wait and the aggravation.  They’ve made up their minds he will be theirs, and so they deal with his issues accordingly.  They are sometimes rough about it, maybe even a bit cruel, and they make Krijero just as crazy as he drives them.  There is never any doubt that these three men care greatly for each other, though.  And it turns out it was worth the hell they put each other through.

But three years of waiting and fighting and hoping?  Wow.  I don’t know of many who would hang on that long for anything or anyone.  Hell, I yell at the microwave oven for not getting my burritos heated faster.  I guess it’s lucky for my marriage that Hubby and I determined it was a go after only four months of dating. 

Still, I like to think that love would get me to hang in there as doggedly as Gelan and Wynhod have for Krijero.  That when my heart knew who it belonged to, I would listen to it instead of my severe lack of patience.  That I’d wait even if it meant doing so forever, so I could share my soul with its mate instead of giving up and settling for something so much less.

What about you?  Is love worth waiting for forever, if that’s what it takes?

6 comments:

  1. I waited 3 years for my husband to figure it out and another year after that for him to make it legal. I knew before we even went out the first time that he was the one. I now have two beautiful grown children and we just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. Some things are worth waiting for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily, I didn't have to wait. We both knew we were meant for each other. We will celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary this summer. Looking back through the years and anticipating the future, I say it would be worth the wait for the right person. He's my best friend, my lover, my confidante. We still have so much fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like Krijero. I know that is up to me to change, but none had been stubborn enough to wait or fight with me.
    Thanks for Krijero, his story give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the answers. Love comes along in so many different ways. I guess the lesson is to keep your eyes (and heart) open. Good luck to you, Nelly. I hope you find that special someone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd dated a guy for 2 1/2 years and realized he wasn't "the one"; I met my hubby in March and married him in October of the same year. We´ll be married 24 years. Soon after we knew we wanted to be together he was transferred over 1500 miles away. When we found out we discussed waiting, and both of us would have waited for the other.

    It sounds like Krijero needs the time to see that Gelan and Wynhod really love him and are committed to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your successful marriage! That is a great story.

      Delete