Saturday, January 19, 2013

My New Year’s Resolutions (or How I Plan to Drive Myself Insane in 2013)



I’m usually anti-resolutions when the new year rolls around.  I fear failure, so much so that I refuse to set myself up for it.  Yet this year I’ve decided to challenge myself.  For the first time ever, I made a couple of resolutions, one of which might actually interest you.

The first one I’m sure you could care less about.  It wasn’t really even my own goal.  This one my husband dangled in front of me.  “Want to join me in the Couch to 5K Running Plan?” he asked me. 

Hmm.  Get off my admittedly fluffy (and getting fluffier by the second) ass and train to run a 5K.  Bad back ... bad hips ... bad knees.  Ridiculously low level of any real motivation.  I have no idea why I said I would do this.  I have now completed two weeks of the challenge.  As I thought I would, I absolutely hate it.  Only stubborn pride keeps me going to that damned track.  Anyone who wishes to talk me out of continuing on, please feel free to do so.

My other resolution, the one that will interest you, might be even crazier.  This one I set for myself.  I don’t know why except I wondered if I could do it.  The goal?  To start writing a new book each month. 

Please note I’m NOT trying to finish a new book each month.   Even I’m not that crazy (though the 5k thing might beg a different opinion).  The plan is to write my typical 8-12 hours a day, pushing myself to do some work on all my various projects.  Will I manage it?  Good question.  If I do, here are the books I’ll begin this year (most of these are only working titles):

January:  Clans of Kalquor 8 - Alien Caged (Outlining under way.  That’s one down.)
February:  Clan Beginnings - Clan Rajhir
March:  First Mataras - Michaela (start of a new series of the first Earther women seduced or abducted by Kalquor)
April:  Clans of Kalquor 9 - Alien Revolt
May:  Clan Beginnings - Clan Clajak
June:  Post-Armageddon Rescues - Sojan (First in a series of stories detailing the rescue efforts that followed the Earth-Kalquorian war)
July:  Clans of Kalquor 10 - Alien Bounty
August:  Clan Beginnings - Clan Bacoj
September:  Clan Companions 1 (First in a series of gay erotic stories about clans who opt to bring Earther men rather than females into their lives)
October:  Clans of Kalquor 11
November:  Clan Beginnings - Clan Erybet
December:  Nuns of Europa - Tina

I think most fiction authors would admit to some degree of insanity.  I submit the above as proof positive of my own particular derangement.  I’ll let you know how it goes ... both with the running and writing.  I wish you all luck with your own goals for this coming year.


8 comments:

  1. wow, sounds really great, and a big under taking. though I know you can do it (both of them)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I can safely say that is one very impressive list...I will be rooting for you...and not just because I want to read IT ALL! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your list is good for us, just make sure that it works for you and doesn't add stress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow! I'm conflicted. I don't know whether to be:

    Awed - I'm having trouble keeping track of writing two stories at once. I can't imagine tracking that many. You're my hero.

    Overjoyed - I want to read them all!!!!!Yum! Yum! Yum!

    or Terrified - What if you get so overwhelmed and sick of Kalquor that you run away screamiing and don't come back? Then we won't get any of them. Good luck and try not to burn yourself out.It might not seem like it sometimes but we can wait if we have to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement. Don't worry ... if I can't handle that amount of writing, I'll back it off. I'm not about to churn out bad stories just because I've set a goal. I'm simply curious to see if I can start a new work each month. I know of an author who actually challenged herself to write an entire book every month for a year. I don't know how that ended up working for her, but there is no way I'd ever attempt something of that scope.

    I cannot imagine getting tired of Kalquor. I'll be honest and admit it is my obsession. I loooove my clans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could be worse. At least you've figured out how to make a career out of your obsession and you're bringing enjoyment to so many others at the same time. Good for you. Like Shalia's mother, my obsessions tend to revolve around yarn and embroidery floss. Believe me, if there was a way of making a living with those I would have found it by now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will enjoy reading any and all of those books when ever they may be finished! Also as someone who ran regularly I feel compelled to add, carbs and light protein before run and milk and protein after. Of course stay hydrated and have plenty of water but the milk actually helps keep you from getting too sore after a run or workout. (and if it interferes with the writing, drop it like a hot potato!) Lol I hope you get to achieve both set goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips! I need all the help I can get, lol.

      Delete