Saturday, June 16, 2012

Why Many Women Read Gay Male Erotica



If you’ve been keeping an eye on this blog, you know I’ve been toying with the idea of writing a series of prequels to the Clans of Kalquor series.  In this series, I’d explore how the men of the various clans got together.  Since Kalquorian men are bisexual, there would be plenty of m/m/m action, so I ran a poll to see if my readers, the majority of which are female, would read such stories.  With almost two-thirds of the respondents answering to the affirmative, the series is a go.  I’ve already begun outlining the first one, which features Tranis, Lidon, and Degorsk from Alien Conquest.  (Remember that poll a few weeks back when I asked which clans you wanted to know more of the backgrounds on?  Yep, this was the reason behind it; I’m starting with the number one pick.)

The gay male erotica category is a very popular one among women, so I really wasn’t surprised.  I know I find male-on-male action extremely hot.  In fact, my absolute favorite erotic tale is Lost Star by Morgan Hawke, which features two very alpha males who fall in love with each other.  I have read this book so many times, I’m surprised my Kindle will access any other book in my collection.

But why do women enjoy reading encounters between men?  Why do some women prefer m/m over m/f or even m/f/m?  I can’t answer for all.  I can only tell you why I enjoy it.

First of all – well, it’s two (or more) men!  Hot, sexy men.  Men getting naked and naughty.  With none of the distractions of a female in the mix.  I can have these guys all to myself.  What’s not to like?

Second, I think I’m attracted to the taboo aspect.  I’m very much for gay equality and I’ll be glad when we finally move past judging people for their sexuality.  But I’m also a person who is drawn to the forbidden like a moth to a flame.  Since so many still insist on trying to deny the gay man his nature, he remains a fascination for me.  Through gay erotica, I can have the vicarious experience of an activity so vigorously frowned upon and thus buck authority.  (Honestly, am I ever going to grow out of my teenage rebellious mindset?)

Third, there’s not so much of the angst that a female character brings to the table in these stories.  I’m not saying m/m erotica doesn’t have emotional trials, because it certainly does, but it doesn’t seem as overbearing to me.  Male characters just seem to be so much more ‘in the moment’, especially when the sex scene gets going.  If there are issues, they don’t talk them to death.  The guys recognize there’s a hot body, it’s turning them on, and they want a piece of it.  Think of the movie ‘Brokeback Mountain’.  Ennis and Jack spent plenty of time in the film bemoaning the fact they couldn’t be together and that the lives they led weren’t the ones they wanted.  But when they were together, they were together.  Totally.  And that was hot.  It’s hot in erotica too, especially when one guy is taking the lead and the other takes some convincing (though he acknowledges he really does want this encounter to happen).

Fourth, it’s two guys.  Did I mention that already?  Oh yeah, I guess I did.  But it’s two guys!!!

So that’s my take on the subject.  What about you?  What is it about the m/m dynamic that fascinates you?  I’d love to hear everyone else’s opinion on this, so please speak up.



2 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I'm a guy who enjoys f/f stories, and I've often wondered if women would enjoy m/m stories. To hear your opinions on this is very interesting to me.

    I'm also a writer - although I will admit that I haven't devoted myself to the craft like you have. I've written all the combinations, but writing m/m is the most enjoyable and exciting for me - maybe because it allows me to express a part of myself that I never express in real life. It's also a thrill for me to write because I imagine how a female reader would react to my story - if she enjoyed it, that would be a sufficient reward for me!

    I'll check out some of the stories you've written. I like sci-fi erotica in general, and two guys with a girl is a topic that - well, let's say it interests me.

    Anyway, I hope you don't mind a little self-promotion, but I've finally finished a full-length novella about a m/m encounter - based on some experiences in my own life, but going to an extreme that is beyond anything I've ever dared to try myself. I hope to publish it soon as an ebook but I'd love some feedback before I do. You can find it at plungingintothepool.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and one more thing I wanted to mention. :)

    Your comment about m/m stories not having so much angst piqued my interest, especially when you said that you like that the guys don't talk their issues to death. I think I know what you mean. In my experience, women want men to be solutions to their problems, not a source of them. Point taken.

    But what I liked most about my own story, and the most exciting part of writing it, was the dialogue between the two male characters. Especially where they talked about what they were doing, and how they felt about it - even when they weren't sure what they felt. So I wonder if that dialogue enhances or detracts from my story.

    ReplyDelete